[plug] Kernel compilation too short.

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Tue Apr 27 07:01:31 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Sun, 25 Apr 1999 16:54:16 +0800
From:           	Oliver White <ojw at iinet.net.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	[plug] Kernel compilation too short.
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Hi, putting a new kernel in, 2.2.5. Basicaly I just want sound support,
> which the slink default kernel doesn't have. I've configured the kernel
> with 'make menuconfig', done 'make dep', 'make clean' and then 'make
> zImage'. The make seems to go through all the directories and do
> nothing, then stop, after about a minute on my old P133/32MB box. Any
> ideas what the problem is?

We saw a similar problem at the quake-fest where it starts compiling
main.c (one of the first files compiled). The problem was the machine
had trouble identifying itself.

eg: hostname -> IP number -> hostname was broken.

You might need to "make zImage |tee log.txt" (I wonder how many
people use tee?) and post the last 20 lines.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
"This is not an office, rather Hell with fluorescent lighting"