[plug] Squid and samba and NT domains

brian coleman bigbrianc at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 09:47:35 WST 1999

And Ian Kent replied

>At 08:35 PM 29-04-99 +0800, Bill Cullen wrote something like:
>
>snip ...
>

> >Some of us have suggested that there might be a better way (cheaper
> >and faster). We are suggesting that they use squid for the proxy. We
>
>About $4000 cheaper at my last count.
>
> >have also said that squid should be able to authenticate users using
> >samba. If we add a samba server to there domain and have it act as a
>
>No. Samba is an independent package that can pass on authication to an NT
>server.
>
> >bdc will squid then authenticate using the NT domain information?
>
>No. You can, however use proxy-authentication. Refer to Squid FAQ 10.2 and
>10.3.
>

>snip ...
>--
>Ian Kent

There seems to be a few misconceptions floating around about Samba.

As a member of a Microsoft workgroup it works fine. As a member of an NT
Domain (which is different to a workgroup) it is also fine. It is at this
stage (2.0.3) not yet ready to work as an MT Primary Domain Controller (PDC)
though most of the functionality is there and the rest is on the way. There
is currently nothing planned to allow it to act as an NT Backup Domain
Controller (BDC), something to do with Macro$ofts not releasing any
specifications for to protocols involved in Domain Controller
syncronisation.

Having said all the above a site which contains all you need to know about
Squid using NT password authentication is at
http://www.hacom.nl/~richard/software/smb_auth.html

Cheers
Brian C