[plug] Any gimp users? (bitmap re-sampling)

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Mon Aug 2 11:19:26 WST 1999

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Garth Atkinson wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if the gimp can be used to re-sample bitmaps to a lower file
> > size? Is there another linux tool better suited to the job?

I think what Garth is asking is whether you can take an image that you've
loaded and cut it down to a given number of palette colours in order to
save of space. And yes, GIMP can do that very nicely. You can choose the
number of colours (and there's even options for things like palettes
enhanced for Netscape, etc). Quite well featured.

> You mean shrink the bitmap, or just the file by increasing compression?
> I dont know gimp, but 'xv' will do it.

Be aware of the limitations of xv (the program with the fish cursor),
though. See the docs on xv. Some of the design decisions were, um, a
little astonishing. Unless xv has been given a major overhaul in the last
six months, I'd consider that program to be for casual image viewing only.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |