[plug] NIS - Updating Clients ...

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Wed Aug 4 20:55:42 WST 1999

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> However, if I add a group on the master server, that group is not accessible
> on the remote machines till.... when? How often are the changes pushed out to
> the clients? And is there a manual way to trigger an update? Under HP-UX years
> ago we used YP, and there was a command (ypmake?) that would rebuild the data
> and push the changes out to all the clients...

I assume that this is much the same as any other NIS, so nothing is
pushed out to the clients!

The only machines that receive the 'yppush'ed maps are slave servers
that have been setup. You need at least one of them in case the master
is down. Often cron entries are setup to ypxfr selected maps at selected
reasonable times, selected depending on how often the map changes.

On Solaris you run 'make' in the NIS directory (say /var/yp).

--
   ,-._|\    Ian Kent
  /      \   Perth, Western Australia
  *_.--._/   E-mail: ian.kent at pobox.com