[plug] Microsoft ask users to crack win2000 site (fwd)

Matt Bruce Matt.Bruce at alphawest.com.au
Fri Aug 6 14:56:24 WST 1999

Trevor Phillips (phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au) wrote:

>Matt Bruce wrote:
>> My point is that if they want to see if it can be compromised,
>> then there should be no interconnectivity-based restrictions.
>
>They want to see if it can be cracked, not if it can be
>crashed. Crashing a Windoze box is little challenge...

I was referring to high-bandwidth attacks intended to achieve a certain
result, not necessarily crashing the box. Things like spraying a bunch of
ACKs at the box from spoofed IPs and watching one of the services die
(similar to the recent SYNflood-style Firewall-1 DoS excitement).

Or was I merely incensed at the idea of restrictions placed on a
[h|cr]acking challenge? Take your pick -- I'm not quite sure myself. :)

Regards,

--
Matt Bruce  <matt.bruce at alphawest.com.au>
Security Engineer - Security & Internet Services