[plug] Debain queries....THANX TO ALL>>>>>>

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Fri Aug 6 18:12:10 WST 1999

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 02:38:11PM +0800, dynamix wrote:
> Thanx Matt that seems like what has happened...Debian is a little different
> and I'm still finding the differences...though I really am taken with it.
> Due to all my fiddling with the modules I've done something to cause it to
> not boot without a boot disk...
> I'm beginning to wonder if Slink has a problem with 2.10 coz everytime I
> recompile it with the new kernel I have problems.

2.10? I've recompiled 2.2.x kernels for all my machines here (2regularly
used, 2 unused'ish and one for vmware), no problems.

When people recompile the kernel for the first time, they do not know what
to enable or disable. First of all, if you do not have an SMP machine,
disable SMP and RTC. If you use IDE, enable IDE block device and IDE
harddisk into the kernel (not as modules). They're named
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK in .config/Configure.help if
you want to know.

 > > now it gives me some message about > VFS: Partition
check > (dev_module request)
> Kernel panic cannot find ...
>
> I think it says something about the hard drive ...its been a  few days since
> I've booted it and I'm doing some teaching in windows at the mo...but it
> boots ok from a floppy..it seems to be having a problem

What you recompiled has no influence over the rescue disk's kernel unless
a) you recompiled the kernel specifically for the rescue disk and replaced
it b) bad hardware (unlikley in this situation).

> support or something as horrendous

IDE support? name the options you enabled from .config.

> so I went back and recompiled...no different...
> my Lilo.conf is the same as it is always been..
> I've got a dedicated drive for Debian..hda1 as the boot...hda2 for burning
> CD's...hda3 for tmp...hda4 for swap
> another  dedicated master drive  for Caldera and RedHat 5.2 dual boot...
> another dedicated master drive for Win98
> and another dedicated master drive for Win2000 ........................all
> on a rack system
> so there is no way that the other operating systems are interfering,.
>
> I've even reinstalled the boot block etc but it still does the same
> thing....
>
> Any ideas about where to look besides LILO.CONF ...???? I had a peek at
> INITAB and the FSTAB / MTAB files ( capitalized to separate only)
> > but there didnt seem to be anything outwardly wrong there either...

methinks you're looking at the wrong place.

> One other problem of note is that tho i can boot off a floppy im having a
> huge prob mounting any floppy belong to any filesystem ...even using the
> mount -t command...
> i cant even mount a dos one under dosemu....!!!!!!

I don't understand. A capture from your screen would be of more help as we
have no idea what you're typing. we're not mind readers you know.

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).

NOTE: If you want to use a 2.2.x kernel with debian slink/2.1, have a look
at http://www.debian.org/~rcw/2.2/warnings.html for neccessary upgrades.

Also, it's Debian, not debain.