[plug] RE: Linux backward compatability baggage

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Aug 7 15:48:25 WST 1999

> > > Just out of interest, what baggage is linux carrying? It has backward
> > > compatibility to the i386 architecture obviously. Is this problem

While the 386 was a huge change from the 286, the 'architecture' hasnt
really changed since then, has it? Sure, the marketing department added a
few extra instructions, and the hardware implementation is faster.

> > Assuming all the system time's kernel, to reduce its overhead would have
> > little overall benefit; for what users actually do, optimising X would be

System speed isnt really the big issue. I was thinking more of unneeded
complexity, leading to reliability and security problems.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	Many are cold, but few are frozen.