[plug] re: take the test

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Aug 8 00:03:28 WST 1999

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Gary Allpike wrote:
> Some example questions:
> Why is it necessary to use "chown" when creating new user accounts via the
> command line?
> The correct answer is "because your adduser script is rooted"
That is beside the point. If you're creating a new account from the
commandline, chown is necessary. Seems to me that this is typically done
for system accounts, though, not user accounts, for which, as you say, one
ought use adduser.

> 2.3    Jack has many decisions to make regarding the installation of Linux
> on his machine. Jack is very concerned that he will make a mistake because
> he uses two other operating systems and does not wish to lose any
> data. After careful study Jack has discovered some basic but necessary
> steps for installation of any version of Linux.
> Which of the following MUST be on Jack's list of basic
> steps? (Remember to choose the BEST answer)
>
>                       writing LILO to the MBR
>                       Use FIPS to modify a Linux partition
>                       copying the OS software
>                       creating a new user for the system
>
> What on earth is the point of that question ???????
> and how do the choices offered have anthing to do with preserving data ??

If he makes a mistake as he fears, doing it from a non-root account is a
_very_ good way to avoid losing data on other partitions.

> very little of the test is linux/unix related.
> overall, I wouldnd give you 10c for certification based on the rubbish in
> that test!

I have to agree with you. Pretty useless. Maybe all the good questions are
in the real exam.

-Greg