[plug] Mistakes on your "Sample exam"

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Aug 8 00:30:57 WST 1999

Dear Sir/Madam,

You seem to have a couple of mistakes on this page, or perhaps the cgi:
http://www.linuxcertification.org/quizzes/Level1Quiz/

For 1.1.a, both A. and B. were certainly true at different stages of early
computing history. A. happened earlier, so it probably a better answer
then B, which you suggest.

In part 1.2.b, you say that
"If free software is included in products and services being sold, only
verbatim copies software can be redistributed."

Aside from the missing "of the", the statement is factually wrong, (the
question is in the context of the GPL, which certainly permits
modification) but of course so is C. so A. is unfortunately considered an
incorrect answer. D. looks like it should be a valid answer, too, but the
wording is not clear enough to be sure what it really means.

In 5.1.a, you claim that the statement "Man pages are not found in some
distributions of Linux? " is false. Oooops. There are plenty of
distributions without manpages, mostly embedded ones.

A final quibble, if I may - I think 2.3 would benefit from specifying
"copying the OS software TO THE HARDDRIVE" in part C, otherwise it is more
likely to be interpreted as making a backup of the installation media.
I can only guess that this is what you mean in the question, but the
question seems fairly trivial if that is indeed the meaning you intend for
C. Response A. 1.2.C probably needs a rewording too, to make it clear you
are talking about linking, as opposed to releasing under multiuple
licenses.

I hope this feedback helps you to improve your service - I feel it is a
necessary one for both the Linux community and the business world.

-Greg Mildenhall