[plug] re: take the test

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Aug 8 07:49:27 WST 1999

> On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
> > > If you're creating a new account from the commandline, chown is
> > > necessary.
> > Tisn't. I create ALL my user accounts from the commandline using whatever
> > RHS has inflicted on my. It's never necessary for me to run chown (or
> > chmod); that function's included in the useradd command (now a binary,
> > used to be a script called adduser).
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant (as did the people who wrote the
> question, one can but assume) creating the account manually, rather than
> using such a script/binary. Edit /etc/passwd, /etc/groups, create home
> directory, etc, etc.

There was nothing in the text posted to this list to suggest THAT.

> Out of interest, a _binary_??
> Why I can't imagine there is a compiled language out there more
> appropriate for the task than perl or bash, and it must be a real pain not
> being able to look at exactly what the script does without finding the
> source package. Is this just RH's "infinite wisdom" at work?

C and C++ are both perfectly adequate for the task. So too Modula, Pascal.
I don't know about you, but I don't want know all the details of how an
aeroplane works before I use one to get from point A to point B. I'm
equally happy using Linux commands without knowing all the grotty details
about HOW it works; I'll go looking, perhaps, if it doesn't produce the
desired results.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield