[plug] Unable to install GNU Pascal RPM package on RH 5.2

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Aug 9 23:21:18 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:

> Here's a problem.
>
> Anne has a PL/0 compiler that she has to modify for school.
>
> It is written in Pascal.
>
> She needs to install a Pascal compiler on RH 5.2 Linux (note: not a converter
> such as P2C).
>
> She downloaded GNU Pascal and GNU Pascal extras packages.

Sorry, Can't offer you any help with GNU Pascal, but do yourself a favor
and have a look at Free Pascal.
I have been using it for months now, and I'ts small, fast and pretty damn
good. Will compile most of my Turbo Pascal for Dos stuff out of the box.
Has Delphi Object Pascal compatibility and heaps more.
Whats more, the compiler is written in Pascal..

I can give you a recent binary only version, which I have compiled on this
machine.. to install it just make a /usr/src/fpc dir
and untar fpc.tar.gz in that directory, and put the ppc386.cfg in /etc
Pretty easy.
It's about 1.8 megs for the full binary tarball, that includes all the rtl
and everything but the kitchen sink.. It even has gtk bindings..

Give me a yell if you want it.. or alternatively, go to

http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/fpc/

and download it yourself..
Docs in .ps .pdf .html .tex and .txt
Great documentation.
I have printed myself a set of unit reference guides.. Use them all the time..

And for those that are wondering..
I have been programming Pascal since Turbo Pascal 3.0 was released and I had
it on my brand new Sharp 8088 Laptop.
I'm just to lazy to learn C..
It's stupid I know..

Hope to be of some assistance...