[plug] Linux and running Windows

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Tue Aug 10 09:59:54 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:
> I would think that, at this stage, it would be best to get at least 128MB of
> RAM, since that is the minimum for VMWare, and, we all want to be able to run
> the new version of Windozy, when it is released later this year; the one that
> has just been released for Beta testing; Windoze thru the Millennium, the hybrid
> of Win 98, Win NT, and Win2000 (How's that for a mongrel OS??) But, we don't
> want Windozy to be able to destroy the hardware, so a virtual machine is
> probably the safest hardware platform on which to run it.

Not complaining, just WINEing, I'd prefer the minimal intrusion of
running an emulator. Corel's input into WINE is starting to have an
impact. I expect a quite useable product by years' end ("Windows
Emulator 2000?").

> By the way, I trust you are all aware of the pending USA legislation, that will
> allow software companies to remotely disable their software.

I imagine that Linus would be delighted to have the right to go and
disable all copies of Linux running at MicroSoft, the day after they
killed their first app. Now, I wonder if the authors of SpyGlass would
be as happy with the power to disable each derivative of their
software...?

--
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.