[plug] Setting up an ISP

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Tue Aug 10 11:04:38 WST 1999

Daniel Pearson wrote:
> My sister urgently needs to find information today about ISPs. I was
> wondering if anyone could tell me what h/w, s/w, was needed to setup an ISP?
> If you could help me out, i'd be greatly appreciative. Also how ISPs would
> need to upgrade their h/w, s/w to cope with the bill that has been passed on
> Net Censorship

A digital modem box; these days you can get lines for them in bunches of
10. An uplink (which when you start can be one of your digital lines).
Things like a proxy, a web service and a couple of nameserver IPs are a
good idea. With any decent OS, all of this can be done on one box, but
it's a better idea to start with at least 2. For, say, a 30-line ISP,
you'd be looking at around $40,000 minimum decent setup.

The most complete way to deal with digital censorship is to operate
offshore. Many ISPs are simply ignoring it, since even the example/model
porn filters don't work.

--
I have had a perfectly wonderful evening.
But this wasn't it.  -- Groucho Marx