[plug] creating partitions

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Aug 10 11:06:34 WST 1999

> Grant Heazlewood wrote:
> > I have at present a problem creating partitions with redhat. I am
> > installing rh6 using a boot disk I do a custom install and use disk
> > druid, when I try to create a  native partition with a mount point of
> > /  'root' I get a message that the  "boot partition is to big"  and it
> > has not been allocated, this happens no matter what size I specify and
> > since it is a 4G drive that is totally dedicated to Linux I am at a loss
> > as to what could be causing this.

I've just installed RHL 6 on a Pentium system with 1 ^ Gb HHD. The target
partition was 2 Gb.

Apart from its pathetic requirement to have a swap PARTITION, all went
well.

Of course, I didn't use the druid.

Why did I should PARTITION? Thought you'd never ask.

best place for swap space on a single-drive system is fair in the middle
of the most-used files. Not outside the partition.

Of course, the best swap is no swap, and I see no problem installing Linux
in 32 Mb RAM with no swap.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield