[plug] Red Hat becomes like M$

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Fri Aug 13 12:10:00 WST 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Bret Busby wrote:
> The red cap has definitely succeeded in going the same way as M$. No doubt, it
> intends to rival M$ in everything, including its corpoate philosophy.

What makes you say that? I've really not seen much evidence of Redhat
acting in a way to harm the community. The recent fiasco with E*Trade was
a shame, but it was just an unsuccessful attempt to give something back to
the community - something which they certainly had no obligation to do.
It's unfortunate that it didn't work out the way they planned it, but I am
very impressed that they tried to do it in the first place.

Even as someone who would never use their distro, I have a great respect
for the way Redhat has treated the rest of the Free Software world, and
their history of staying (mostly) true to their roots and ideals,
especially in the face of competition from companies like Caldera and
SuSe who are not bound by the same moral ideals.

-Greg