[plug] Internet Oppression (again)

John Menzies ccm01 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 16 05:01:21 WST 1999

I bet the majority of Australians would support the Howard decision on
censorship.  I for one believe that porno on the web is a blight on the
industry.  Sure it reflects demand and it is profitable but I bet that the
public execution of Christians and lion feeding would also be popular if
the population was suitably educated.

Participation in the industry is exploitative of the participants in
product - do not tell me that a drug adict high on speed  screwing his or
brains out is doing so with full consent.  As for child porno which is
obviously widespread on the net - no more need be said - but it is a
byproduct of the lack of regualtion and highly exploitative.

I oppose porno from a philosophical persective as it sees the person and
their unique gifts as more more than a commodity to buy and

Anyone want a coffee and some vigorous discussion during the week?