[plug] Telstra CLI/CID Question

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Aug 15 11:00:50 WST 1999

> Most modems (especially the older ones) have an isolation transformer
> that is meant to be rated at some obscene isolation voltage (2kV?).
> The connection to the phone lines was directly to one side of the
> transformer with the other side to the circuitry.

Exactly, tough I didn't know the details.

> Some of the newer modems have probably done away with the old
> isolation transformer and are probably using optocoupled isolation
> with an internally isolated power supply (there are available potted
> power isolators, about 10mm x 40mm x 10mm which tansfer 5VDC power
> across an electrical isolation of 1kV. Don't ask me how but they
> can...).

A device (such as a LED) shines (or doesn't, as nneded) a light on a
photo-sensitive device casing it to switch in sympathy. The physical
separation and dielectric characteristics determine th isolation;
presumably at 1kV+ the margin of safety they emit the magic smoke that's
so hard to put back.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield