[plug] Acrobat PDF files and X11

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Aug 16 22:16:33 WST 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Subba Rao wrote:

> As soon as the focus is on any other X window or X desktop, the Acrobat changes color.
> This is reversed when I change my focus to Acrobat.

This means you are running X in (probably) 256 colour mode, which means
there are not enough colours in the pallete for all your applications to
be able to assign the colours they want, so what happens in this case, is
Acrobat temporarily changes the pallete to suit itself, and changes it
back as you move the focus back to the other applications.

What make/model gfx card are you running? If it's one supported by X and
configured correctly you can force X to run with more colours by starting
it with eg:

"startx -- -bpp 16" (for 16 bit colour - 65536 colours)

 - Matt