[plug] Load-limiting ?

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Aug 17 08:17:51 WST 1999

> I'd like to try out load-limiting/balancing on our home gateway. ie; given a
> Linux box IPMasquerading over a 33kmodem, be able to limit how much of the
> available bandwidth is available to different IP's on the LAN.
>
> Has anyone done this before, or could point me to some resources/HOWTO?

I think ipchains goes some way to this; it doesn't prevent someone
monopolising the bandwidth if there's no competition, but it can prevent
that someone from blocking someone else, perhaps by running half-a-dozen
ftps.

As I understand it, you can make a rule that says traffic from 192.168.0.x
is more urgent than traffic from 192.168.0.y. The rules can also take into
account protocols: smtp is more urgent than ftp.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield