[plug] Censorship and linux

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Tue Aug 17 17:25:14 WST 1999

> > But for any of this to happen you need to change the law which
> is basically
> > that the ISP has to filter this content. An all-round
> unworkable solution
> > for the very reasons above.
>
> Well yes, I expect the legislation to crumble under its own weight
> eventually.

Well are people interested in developing something like this ??? It makes a
good alternative to be able to have for the government. Say the following
scenario.

1. Free open source prototype of a client end filtering tool. Filters can be
configured easily by user. Needs to run on a variety of platforms.
2. Web site set-up to promote the software plus sign ISP's up to give it
away to customers. Easily be able to modify the splash screen at start-up so
that it says something like blah filtering software proudly brought to you
by blah ISP and the open source community.
3. Government crumbles under the weight of the legislation and regulates
that ISP's make available open source filtering software. Funding comes
through Government for the maintaining of the software and list of sites
deemed unacceptable by the censure bureau can be available for download.

I think with enough support something like this could actually work for
everyone, and the open source movement would be praised for their great
resourcefulness.

Could ask every ISP in OZ to donate $100 towards its funding to get the ball
rolling. There is something like 400+ ISP's in OZ which would give you
$40,000 for the project. Enough to employ a programmer for the project.