[plug] (off-topic) Law regarding hacking

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Aug 18 09:05:55 WST 1999

> All I have found in the WA Criminal Code is Section 440A "Unlawful operation
> of a computer system" which provides for a penalty of 1 year or $4000 for
> unlawful access to information in a restricted access computer system.

I (not a lawyer) would bet that running a program or causing a program to
be run would constitute "operation of a computer system."

Consider that telnetting to the telnet port of a typical Linux box causes
a program to be run (inetd runs tcpd and telnetd on my system)...

I surmise there may be other offenses too, to do with using
telecomunications equipment (phone lines) for unlawful purposes.

> If anyone is able to shed any addition light on how the law stands in this
> regard it would be much appreciated.

If you're thinking of hacking, don't.
If you've found a hacker, Kim Heithmann (I'm not sure of the spelling,
pronouced heightman and is probably German) is a good lawyer to talk to).
He gets quoted in the papers occasionally & I think is a spokesman for the
WAIA.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield