[plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Aug 19 11:14:01 WST 1999

> I'll help - but I'll not be party to installing slackware or redhat.
>
> I believe it would be far easier to install debian on the systems.  The
> biggest complaint aboiut debian is that it is hard to INSTALL - if I'm
> going to do the installation then theres nothing hard left!!
>
> and the apt package manager makes life so easy for people that dont really
> know what they are doing.

The latest RH installs also have the ability to clone system.

fwiw I have a floppy that can be put in an anonymous box (with an NE2000
clone), configure the NIC with BOOTP and run linux. Adapting it to copy a
preinstalled image should be pretty trivial; possibly it could be adapted
to to work (slowly, perhaps) with PPP and a serial cable, or PLIP and a
laplink-compatible cable.

For that matter, a box with a couple of IDE connectors and loose power
connectors could quickly copy preinstalled images to spare drives before
they're installed in the target box. And if the target's a 386 with a CD
drive, running (mostly) from CD is an option; while it can't be updated,
it will save lots of disk space, typically scarce on 386s, and probably
without much of a speed penalty.

> Also, there are a LOT more packages available for debian than any other
> distribution.

Few 386s and 486s have the capacity to install all that much, so that's a
moot point. I do know a few other vendors than Red Hat (and its clones)
ship RPMS; is that true of Debian's format?

Having run Linux on an 8 Mb 486, I'd be reluctant to give anyone Linux on
a machine with less than 16 Mbytes, maybe 12. Certainly not one that boots
to XFree.

Indeed, I'd not recommend anything less than a machine able to run KDE
and/or GNOME for a novice.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield