[plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

bob at contact.omen.com.au bob at contact.omen.com.au
Thu Aug 19 11:07:57 WST 1999

Thanks for the interest in ComputerBank guys :).

Ok, please keep in mind that the whole point of the exercise is to give
people who may not have _any_ skills with computers a way in. To that end
KISS is needed sometimes otherwise you'll just scare people away and
that's not going to be helpful :). Debians unfriendly install could be a
strike against it at this point in time for these people, perhaps once we
have people up to "advanced" we can introduce hard options, but to be
really usefull CB have to teach what's under the hood not just end user
progs (while maintaining the KISS principle) so compromises have to be
made.  If debian has any advantages for teaching CB would like to hear
them and we're alway ready to be persuaded that "it's not that bad,
really" but at the moment the consensus is that Slackware and RedHat fill
the organisations needs. (We did discuss creating our own distro but
thought that it may be a bit ambitious at the moment :).

Please feel free to present any arguments in favour of your favorite
distro but please keep in mind that some of the recipients of these
machines are going to have to be taught how to use a mouse!

--
/-- Bob Ogden  bob at contact.omen.com.au --------------/

Does your system break in 134 days?