(debian) [plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Aug 19 14:54:48 WST 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> What bugs people about Debian installs, as best I can tell, is no longer
> dselect, but the number of (apparently tricky) questions each package asks
> during the configuration process.

I agree.
The thing that bugs me about this section most is the time-consuming
aspect of it.
If there were a way to tell all packages to just use the defaults, I could
start a debian install, walk away, and come back an hour later and it'd be
finished.

Especially for the purposes of system duplication this would be handy,
since you could install the packages with default configuration, and then
replace the /etc/ directory with the one on your "master" install (and
then manually change things like hostname/IP address etc)

 - Matt