[plug] Is it possible to install debian on a 386 with 4mb ram?

Buddrige, David dbuddrige at mitswa.com.au
Thu Aug 19 15:09:11 WST 1999

Hi all,

As I recall, the original reason that Slackware was considered for use with
computerbank is that some of the machines are very low_end - some of them
are 386's with 4mb ram - which as I understand it, is just about as minimal
as you are able to get with Linux... 8-)

Many of these machines don't have cd-roms, so the most likely install method
was either by nfs or (if we have no alternatives) by floppy (uggh!! (beleive
me, I'll be trying every tactic to get nfs  to work before I capitulate to
this method)! 8-)).... however, slackware was primarily there as a backup if
we couldn't get anything else to work... however if debian can be installed
with minimal ram requirements (such as 4mb) on a 386, then it may be a go-er
with the low-end machines...

Redhat was going to be the preferred choice - mainly becuase it's what most
of the existing members have the most experience with... 8-)

cheers

David Buddrige...