(debian) [plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Thu Aug 19 16:05:49 WST 1999

<snip>
> Yes, this is definitely irritating... but not "difficult".  The
> questions are mostly simple (and if they're not, maybe you shouldn't be
> installing that package...) so I'm still not convinced that a Debian
> install is significantly more difficult than an equivalent Red Hat one.
> I agree with Peter's comment about colour, though. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian.

I think if you had come from a DOS (or even Win NT install) then the
colour/layout of Redhats install is very nice. I have installed RedHat 4.2,
5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 6.0 and the install has only got better and better. RPM's
leave a lot to be desired as they tend to force you into the configuration
that is preferred by the packager (like my cyrus imap package not be
compiled/installed with shadow passwords support). Even when upgrading
RedHat packages with RedHat packages there are still problems (Samba 2.0.5a
blew away my existing smb.conf file).