[plug] re: re: IP address

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Aug 20 10:37:02 WST 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Steve Grasso wrote:

> >> Can someone explain to me how the following address can have a class "C"
> >> subnet mask (IP addr: 10.203.57.1).

Isnt the class A/B/C stuff is obsolete?  I cant imagine them handing out
class As to anybody these days.

> >Any IP address can have any subnet mask. A subnet mask is only used to
> >determine the network address component and host address component of

So is there any practical difference between a netmask and a subnetmask?

In class A, that should be 7 bits and 24 bits, shouldnt it?
I remember old software that only allowed 3 netmasks, incl 255.0.0.0 for
class A, 255.255.0.0 for B, and 255.255.255.0 for C.
Now you seem to be able to use any mask. The bits dont even need to be
sequential! e.g. 255.0.128.15 (but dont try this at home).

> http://wwworg.uio.no/in312/Studbok/IP-adresser/class_c.html
> http://www.geoprospects.com/dedicated/SubnetZero.htm

Thanks for the references. But I'm still not clear on the theory.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	I had no shoes and I pitied myself.  Then I met a man who had no
	feet, so I took his shoes.
	                -- Dave Barry