[plug] Difficulty installing Debian ... or not

Bradley Browne Brad.Browne at serco-ap.com.au
Fri Aug 20 16:36:54 WST 1999

I got to thinking about the "Debian is hard to install issue" and so I
challenged myself to install it from floppies ... today ... at work.  In
my _spare_ time of course :-P

So :

I am doing this from floppies and it installed the base system without
trouble.
I configured my network in installation and ...
Now I am ftp'ing the rest of a server_std profile from a server
I chose that because it is the smallest profile with all the network
stuff.
I have not done this before (ftp install) so I am interested to see how
it goes.

The more you install an OS ( Any OS ) the easier it gets.  I think we
can take that as a given.  I have installed RedHat *heaps* of times (can
do with eyes shut) and Slackware a few times.  I want to understand the
Debian install better so that it can do more for me.  Currently it wants
to do a *lot* but I can't let it ( I am not sure what the questions I am
answering are about ).  When I install RedHat I install *everything* on
the disc.  I don't want to miss anything so that I have to use the RPM
to install anything, this is something I learned quickly, because I have
no inclination to hunt the Web for packages that are dependent.  Overall
I think that Debian could be the easiest to maintain, and if it asked
less questions at install time, the easiest to install ( for an
inexperienced person, from a psycholgical standpoint ).

My thoughts,

Brad