[plug] dual processors

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Thu Aug 26 10:29:58 WST 1999

> For those interested in dual processor systems _
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2319637,00.html.  Also
> remember putting together a celeron system for a relative that used a
> ppga adapter for slot one that touted that the adapter could handle dual
> processors with a further adapter and another similar ppga board.  I
> think that for multi-processing there is a control connection between
> processors that the celeron (& AMD chips) do not have.  It has to be
> simulated.  Anyone know?

The Celeron's have multiprocessor support on the chip (they are the same
core as the Pentium II's) but there is a pin connection that is not
made which means they can't be used in multiprocessor boards... The
original slot 1 Celeron's could be made to work in multiprocessor
systems by a bit of soldering and manual editing of the board... the new
PPGA version has a much nicer solution... the latest versions of the
adapter boards you are talking about do the rewiring on the card... and
the A-bit BP6 which takes 2 Celeron's directly does it on the
motherboard... Intel have been threatening to take the multiprocessor
functionality out of the core of the Celeron's however... There is a web
petition to them at http://www.cpureview.com/smp_petition.html

The AMD K6's do not have multiprocessor functionality in them... the K7
(Athlon) chips do however :)

The dual Celeron machines we have here in the office are PPGA Celeron's
with Adaptor cards and a Dual slot 1 board...

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at it.net.au