Meetings attendances etc (was Re: [plug] Games Night THIS Sunday 22nd Aug)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 26 12:39:32 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Nick Bannon wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 11:44:56AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > > I did. It was discussed and confirmed informally twice through UniGames
> > > members and finally formally by Keiron.
>
> > Yes, it looks like it did work out OK in the end - I think some UniGames
> > people were a bit slack replying to the original query. It'll be fairly
> > easy to make sure no confusion happens again and official bookings can
> > occur. (like the Monday meetings, which don't seem to be particularly
> > well attended of late... ::-/ )
>
> Indeed, none of the meetings are, because nothing is percived as
> happening. Volunteers for talks/demos would be good. I've had some
> questions about ipchains which I might do a presentation to answer, but
> cannot yet guarantee having the time to prepare.
>
> Cheers

Apart from our not attending because of my not having self-propelled wheels at
present, what happened to the proposed WinE and Cheeze! evening?

Or, is that waiting until WinE is released as being able to run Windoze9x and
WindozeNT applications?

Perhaps, with all the recurring discussions/debates/disputes about the various
distributions and their versions, it could be appropriate to have a meeting,
where each of the recent distributions and versions are demonstrated and
compared (eg RH 6 and 5.2, the slink and potato things, etc). Also, if anyone is
running the latest Caldera Linux version, that could be interesting, as it could
be a useful means to convert computer users who use only Windoze, as I believe
that complete use of the OS, including installation, can be done without seeing
a command line.

Perhaps, if someone was able to get one of the large companies who are involved
with, or are supporting (I don't mean paid technical support), Linux, to sponsor
a PLUG stand at the 1999 computer show in Perth (as I previously suggested),
then such a demonstration and comparison, could be a good preparation for a
stand that could show and compare the various distributions, and thus, could be
a good way to increase conversions to Linux use.

Bret Busby