Meetings attendances etc (was Re: [plug] Games Night THIS Sunday 22nd Aug)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 26 13:55:53 WST 1999

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps, with all the recurring discussions/debates/disputes about the various
> > distributions and their versions, it could be appropriate to have a meeting,
> > where each of the recent distributions and versions are demonstrated and
> > compared (eg RH 6 and 5.2, the slink and potato things, etc). Also, if anyone is
>
> How about a Distribution Race?? ^_^
> Set some requirements such as "Must install system with kernel X, Xwin X,
> Netscape X, Apache X, Gimp X", and see who can install their favourite Dist
> the fastest...

But, would it be more appropriate to have a person who is experienced at
installing a distribution, and therefore is familiar with its quirks, showing
how fast the distribution can be installed, or, using a person who has no
familiarity with the distribution (and possibly with Linux), showing how fast
and easy (or slow and difficult) the distribution is to install, on a relative
basis?

Someone who knows Slackware, could probably configure it in about five minutes,
to install, whereas someone inexperienced, like this household, takes about half
an hour, or an hour, to configure Red Hat for installation, at each attempt,
and, all up, take about half a day to a day to install it, and then probably not
get it completely right. So, then, which would be the faster and simpler
distribution to install?

The problem with a distro race, is that we have varying levels of guru's on the
list, and it would become a comparative test of guruism, as opposed to distro
efficiency.

Also, different distributions come with different kernel versions, and different
application versions, etc, if my understanding is correct, so it could become
messy.

I am reminded of a box that was opened by a curious woman with a name like a
panda bear...

:)

Bret Busby