[plug] vpns and or other suggestions

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sun Aug 29 09:51:38 WST 1999

Jamie Moir wrote:

> Anyone played with nfs over ssh or vpns or similar and anything to
> comment? I am also particularly paranoid about the samba and netatalk on a
> gateway machine

I could be way off here (someone yell at me if I am) but I don't know if
you could run NFS over SSH very effectively because it uses several
different services (and thus different ports) and also because it uses
UDP extensively (I think).

What you _could_ do however is run an IPsec style VPN which would have
the added advantages of ensuring all your traffic is encrypted and
properly authenticated and would probably be a whole lot easier in the
end.  There is a free implementation of IPsec (=the security part of
IPv6 integrated with current IPv4) called FreeS/WAN available from
http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan which I expect has plenty of
documentation available there.  It's also documented briefly in the
Linux Administrator's Security Guide (which is mostly otherwise crap)
which you can get from http://www.seifried.org/lasg

Regards,

Christian.

							- Mark Twain