[plug] LyX and BibTeX

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sun Aug 29 16:51:19 WST 1999

Peter Wright wrote:
> > Has anyone ever gotten LyX and BibTeX working together?
>
> <peers around the crowd of silent people>
>
> Doesn't look like it so far, does it? :)

Oh well.. it's still only Sunday and no one spends their Sundays on the
computer... right...? ;-)

> No, you haven't just been very unlucky when looking, BibTeX really is one
> of the worst documented pieces of software ever. :)

I figured so. :)

> Well, that's probably a bit harsh. Have you read the BibTeX documentation
> included with the standard Debian teTeX install?

<file list snipped>

Yep... it didn't help me much. :(

> The btxdoc.dvi is the main useful manual - it's rather obtuse in places,
> but as long as you have a reasonable grasp of LaTeX, etc., it's good enough
> for most purposes.

Manual?  It's four pages! *grin* (ok, four pages of useful info - 12
pages of padding) I wouldn't say I have that great a grasp of LaTeX.  I
read the LaTeX2e doc but I think I'll be sticking with LyX for now.

> Not having had much experience with LyX, I'd recommend you have a go from
> the raw LateX perspective and see if that works - if so, then you can work
> backwards and see what's gone wrong from the LyX end.

Yeah... I guess I might have to give that a try... otherwise I'll just
use the bibliography bit built into LyX - it's going to be awkward for
the number of references I'll have but still more manageable than all
the people doing their work in MS Word... :P