[plug] RH6 Upgrade

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 30 20:18:11 WST 1999

John Breen wrote:

> I just bought (forked out $150 for) The Official RH6, and am looking at
> upgrading my RH5.2 machines over the next few days.
>
> Are there any obvious nasties I should watch out for, or is it all really
> easy?
>
> I had actually thought that one of them could just be blown away and
> completely re-installed, which I've always found to be an easier method with
> Winslows.  Is doing that liable to cause me any problems?
>
> Thanks in advance for comments, advice and so forth.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
>
> John Breen
> Programmer
> United Construction Pty Ltd
>
> (08) 9499-0472
> 0413-462-818
> john.breen at unitedconstruction.com.auI

I cannot speak with authority about the "Official" release of RH-6---where did
you get $150 from anywat! But I got a $7:00c version from Everythinglinux, and
found that my RH 5.3 got screwed up despite the caveats and instructions. I
suggest that you back up all of your configuration files, and essential
irreplaceable software, and proceed to do a RH-6 installation from scratch
taking care to use the "Format" option(s) . That way you will get a guarteed
peace of mind, and very little if any additional time required.  Every Hardware
situation is different, and it is quite possible that an Upgrade may be
possible on some machines.  It is perhaps better to be safe. Once you have RH-6
installed you will probably wonder how you got by without it!   Good luck
anyhow.

Regards  Len Bird