[plug] Re: disk imaging a la ghost

Jon L. Miller jlmiller at wantree.com.au
Tue Aug 31 23:12:16 WST 1999

Mike,
When you do a image you are doing this at the bit level, unless you are
using such a tool on Linux, then the only thing you were doing was making
a copy of the workstation and therefore you were missing all type of
information such as partition size, file format (FAT type, etc).  I do
not know if Linux has such a tool.  Knowing your setup I would use the NT
server to store the image (although I had a few problems doing this
myself) on the NT server and using a DOS boot disk with ghost on it, I
would access the image through the disk.  You first create a WinNT boot
disk to access the WinNT server.  See the following site for information
about creating the boot disk:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q142/8/57.asp
http://bms.sdhc.k12.fl.us/homepage/techsupp/ghost_page/ghost.htm

The 2nd location gives you step by step on creating the disk.  Give this
a try, if it doesn't work for you give me a call

Jon