[plug] Dosemu

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Dec 3 09:39:40 WST 1999

Garth Atkinson wrote:

> Hi Brad
>
> From pure curiosity what is the name of the accounting package?

Arrow, it's written in DataFlex.

> Your dosemu approach is doomed. Multiple DOSEMU sessions will not
> properly synchronise their access to the underlying file system (are you
> using redir ?). Even if the underlying filesystem did the best job that
> it could with file locking, the dosemu session will buffer some
> reads/writes that will probably bring the whole setup crashing down.

Spewing to say the least :p)
I'm not using redir at all, dosemu looks at tht ext2 drive natively.

> I messed with this stuff for about a month before going bald. I ended up
> using Caldera OpenDOS (Y2K OK) on each workstation (using Novel drivers)
> with Linux running that excellent freeware Novel Server package (name
> eludes me) as a server.

Yuk, for this application, I wanted to centralise for bandwidth reasons,
so
moving back to a distributed aproach is not an option.
I'm doing some research into the native locking Dataflex uses to see if
it
will solve my problems.. I have a feeling it will.

> You might try to install microsoft networking in each dosemu session and
> map a network drive (unfortunately Linux cant be using the network card
> for this to work). The data synchronisation rules change with networked
> file systems (I think - but not with redir).
>
> Kudos to dosemu developers for the way they implemented LPT? capturing.
> Very clever.

Yeah, it's quite nice really.

I'll run some checks and see how it goes. I have done a contra with the
guy who supports the package in WA, he will show me how to set up
dataflex
for this type of environment and I will show him how to setup a linux
box
to do all this.. Somehow I feel he's getting the better deal as I'm not
getting paid for any of this :p|

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would