[plug] Mandrake 6.1 - patition too big

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 3 16:38:13 WST 1999

Frank Guidara wrote:

> sorry leon I forgot to tell you I was using diskdruid. But yes I will try
> using fdisk instead of diskdruid. Could you please explain why this problem
> has occured

This looks like a BIOS problem. Historically BIOS(s) handled very small
capacity (by today's
standards anyhow) capacity H.D.s  If your main board and BIOS is much more than
say 3 years
old it is likely that the BIOS will not be able to cope with the windfall of
capacity!  I notice that
you are relying on the partition programs within Mandrake 6.1  I  suggest that
you try to resolve
the problem in humble old DOS using a suitable BIOS translation program
generally available
from the H.D. manufacturer on-line, or a compatible version of Disk Manager, to
get your system
to recognize and handle the big disk. Usually this means that you get a number
of partitions that
are within the original design parameters of your BIOS, this is not the end of
the world, as it has
benefits of its own.   If you get the box to handle the partitioning in DOS
there will not be a
problem  with Linux ----- or should not be,

Cheers and regards,

Len Bird