[plug] Linux on an IBM PS/2

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Tue Dec 7 11:04:03 WST 1999

I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing linux (of any flavor) on a 486 IBM PS/2 box?

A guy I work with is wanting to do that.  His little homework project is a precursor to our company distributing a lot of our stuff on more modern hardware, with linux! :), he's just trying to use what he's got.

His other problem is connecting his home PS/2 box to his windows box which has the only available cdrom for the install.  I've heard that 'PLIP', a parallel port connection sw might do it.  (he does not have the two boxes networked right now)

He's only got 8M ram on the PS/2, so an older version of linux might be needed.

I've searched the web.  But I've heard that the PS/2 might be an MCA architecture instead of ISA, which complicates. (admitting: I'd never heard of 'MCA' before this...)

Appreciate any advice on recycling this old hardware and proving that linux can be forgiving of old systems.

Tamara