[plug] Packets per second

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Dec 7 16:14:19 WST 1999

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:
> If you are allowed to use Linux as the router, I strongly recommend
> putting the students on a separate IPMasq'ed subnet from the staff, and
> if it is practical, add more cards to the Linux box and divide up the
> students between as many physically and logically separate subnets as
> you can. You can run the Linux box headless and have one card per PCI
> slot. I recommend the Tulip compatible falvours, *avoid* cheapies like
> the RealTek 8139 for potentially performance-critical applications like
> this.

Today I just had a Tulip card die on me for no apparent reason... it works
until you go to transfer more than about 10k over the network, then
networking on the machine dies completely.  I replaced it with a 8139 and
it works perfectly. :P  (BTW, I agree with you - the Tulip cards are
normally better... but don't rely on my "hearsay". ;-)

> Students have *lots* of time on their hands. Run everything chrooted,
> throw away telnet and install OpenSSH, make free use of chattr +i and
> restrictive mounts (ro, nosuid, noexec, nodev), switch off any service
> not actually necessary.

Good advice except chattr is next to useless... *longs for capabilities*

Regards,

Christian.