[plug] Intel Nightshade motherboard (and Astor case)

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sun Dec 12 11:34:30 WST 1999

Hi all,

I've just acquired a machine second hand that seems to have a little
problem.  I was informed by the previous admin that it had problems
because of something to do with the motherboard (Intel Nightshade) and
the SCSI disks (NCR SYMBIOS adaptor) in it and that he needed to make
some custom modifications (which he got from VA Linux) to the previous
kernel (2.0.34) in order to get it to boot properly.

I made it a custom 2.2.13 kernel hoping that maybe the problem had been
fixed already and tried to boot it, however, it fell into an endless
loop when initiating the SCSI controller.  A search of the web and
kernel archives yielded only one reference which suggested that this
problem was fixed in 2.2 kernels but, as I said, it seems to fail under
2.2.13.

I guess its unrealistic to expect that someone on this list has faced
and defeated the same problem but if anyone has any suggestions or
advice either on how to fix the problem or where to look next then I'd
really appreciate it. :)

Regards,

Christian.

--
To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to
provide a test load.