[plug] Problems with Redhat linx 6.0 (Pocket book edition)

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Dec 14 03:31:33 WST 1999

> Dear Friends
>
> I am new to Linux and your groups. So Let me introduce myself as Natarajan (s
> hortly "Nat") from Perth.
> I recently bought this pocket book edition of Redhat Linux 6.0 and proceeded
> to install it. All went well. I got the Gnome control panel, played around wi
> th desktops etc. But still have not configured printer, sound card etc. and o
> fcourse not upto the level of playing around with kernels.
>
> My problems are:
> 1) The book states to rename your machine (if networking wasn't setup during
> installation ) to log in as root and type the following command : hostname [y
> our new host name]. I tried this several times but the system just hangs and
> I had to press the reset switch on each occasion.

Odd. I HAVE done this. However, I don't think the change was permanent.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network instead. You'll have to be logged in as root.

> 2) There is an instruction to give alias for ls -la. The book states to write
>  alias ||='ls -la -color' in the .bashrc file in the home directory under the
ls='ls --color=tty -la'
It does not start with two vertical bars or two ells.

>  mv alias and save it. When I did this it came up with the message 'syntax er
> ror at token |' or something to that effect. I tried to delete the line I add
> ed and while doing so I feel I may have deleted some thing else too since the
> n I find the .bashrc file missing in (root login) home directory and the othe
> r 3 aliases alias rm='rm -I', alias cp='cp -I', alias mv='mv -I', all appear
> before the cursor prompt, every time I open a Gnome or xterminal.
>
> Has anyone else faced these problems. Any suggestions to retrieve my .bashrc

Nah. We're all originals; we all make our own mistakes;-)

/etc/skel contains the files used to initialise a new user's home
directory; you can recover the original from there. Don't change its
contents though, at least until you have a good idea of how to fix things
without asking;-)

--
Cheers
John Summerfield