[plug] local DoS with ping -R

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Tue Dec 14 08:33:12 WST 1999

> > 1. Some versions of pings allow "mere mortals" to create large packets
> >    with -s and use those packets to flood somebody else's link.
> >    You can also flood someone's link from your own box as root, but you
> >    are limited by the size of your own link, which is why the -s problem
> >    only really applies for ISPs, where you don't want "mere mortals" to
> >    use your big E1 link to flood some poor soul's 56k link.
> >    (Of course there are easier ways to flood someone's link that don't
> >     require root access, such as sending lots and lots of large UDP
> >     packets)
>
> it's actually '-f' to flood.

What I think Matt is talking about John is that there are in essence a few
ways to flood a link, the two most popular:

1) Send lots and lots of small packets (-f does this)
2) Send some really huge packets (-s allows you to choose the size)

so yes, -f is for flood - but -s also allows a flood of packets to be
created.

Gavin