[plug] E-mail Virus scanning under linux

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Tue Dec 14 12:32:02 WST 1999

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
> > G'morning all,
> > I have a debian slink box serving a virtual domain that sucks
> > E-mail in from one pop-box using fetchmail, filters/distributes
> > it with exim for it to be collected with cucipop for a load of
> > windows boxes. What I need to do is scan incomming mail for viruses.
> >
> > Can anyone recomend software they have had reasonable experience
> > with, commercial or not ?
>
> You can get a Linux port of mcafee which witha few adjustments could
> check incomming/outgoing email .... it's mostly desigend for ftp/www site
> checking though.
>
> Yours Tony.

The sweetest approach to email scanning using a linux mail server Ive
seen is the Amavis package used with the Sophos scanning engine. Amavis
requires sendmail (it becomes new mlocal agent). Amavis will work with a
lot of different virus scanning 'engines' including macafee but I think
macafee are a bit behind with the latest virii sigs for their linux
offerings. Sophos's, although a bit more expensive, offers downloads of
new signatures as they become available from their web site. Wget does a
good job of the downloads and the sophos engine will use them
immediately.

Totally automated up-to-date email virus scanning (even does tgz and
zip).

Until sophos redesigned the download page and my scripted wget routine
failed to find any new files to download. Ah well....

Garth