[plug] PERL book

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 14:39:42 WST 1999

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 02:10:46PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
[ discussing Learning Perl book ]
> How advanced does it make you, if you know what I mean? Does it
> teach you how to make any scripts? ie. A simple mail one.

If you're clever enough to learn by example and with some reading of
the man pages[1] :), the O'Reilly Perl Cookbook is (as the name implies)
a huge collection of scripts, suggestions, discussions and various
solutions on all sorts of common problems people might use Perl to
solve. It's really good if you're the sort of person that just likes
to find effective solutions quickly and with minimal fuss.

> -Daniel

Pete.

[1]. Just to clarify, the free Perl manpage documentation is actually
very very good - don't equate them with the usual UNIX-ish man pages.
There are a couple of programmers I work with that had no trouble
learning Perl from scratch (on Windows systems) without any help from
me, just using the free supplied docs.

--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

101. U can read htis w/o ny porblm and cant figur eout Y its evn listd.