[plug] Debian on P90

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 17 11:03:35 WST 1999

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 08:58:27AM +0800, Steve Grasso wrote:
> Nope. I've tried 5 different (new) disks, even from different vendors and
> packs. I've tried all four rescue disk images. These disks work fine on
> other machines, with no boot or install problems. The machine is just old
> enough to not support bootable CD's, so short of some other ideas, I think
> I'm stuck with Red Hat on it.

Ouch, that's more than the usual amount of bad luck. I guess SYSLINUX
just doesn't work properly on your machine.

If you want to bring your machine into a "bazaar" meeting - we're
skipping it this month, so the next one will be the fourth Monday of
January (28th), it'd be interesting to give it a look.

There's definitely options ;

 * loadlin from DOS

 * Trying the potato bootdisks (they've got a newer SYSLINUX, but not by
   much)

 * Trying Corel or Stormix

 * Booting off a SCSI CDROM (the card will have its own bootable BIOS)

 * Booting RedHat, unpacking the base install, adding your kernel

 * Making your own floppies - if you dd a kernel straight onto a floppy
   disk, it is in fact bootable. Just tell it where to get its root
   filing system (not obvious, but doable) and away you go. Getting into
   the Debian install that way would be a perfectly doable trick.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal