[plug] Re: DVD-ROM on Linux?

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Sun Dec 19 08:57:17 WST 1999

Subba wrote:

> Thanks to every one who replied. To summarize the main problem
> with DVD are the filesystem support (in development) and CSS
> encryption (legal
> barrier). Here are all the various links for DVD on linux.
>
> http://linuxtv.org/dvd/
> http://linuxdvd.corepower.com/
> http://livid.on.openprojects.net/howto.html
> http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Operating_Sys
> tems/Unix/Linux/DVD/
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,32249,00.html
> http://www.linuxtv.org/dvd/
> http://livid.on.openprojects.net/
> http://opensource.creative.com
> http://www.linuxdvd.org
>
> The only benefit, I see with this device, is entertainment. There
> is nothing
> else to it. If it is entertainment only, then it is better off
> with Microsoft
> platform.

I wouldn't say that's true,. though it certainly appears that way given the
current titles that are available on DVD. DVD is a high capacity file system
format that eventually will make the traditional CD-ROM obsolete. Given that
the DVD can hold in excess of three times the amount of data that a CD can
hold (IIRC, it may be more !!!) there is certainly other uses for it. At the
moment the larger capacity is being used extensively for the
video/mpeg/audio media as these are the most storage space intensive
applications around today. Hence they need the extra space.

Eventually we will see our favorite Linux distros come on DVD in order to
reduce the number of CD's shipped (and hopefully the price). Two things have
to happen first before this becomes a reality.

1. File system support in the kernel
2. Proliferation of DVD drives in peoples PC's

As a side note Microsoft developer network is switching to DVD in order to
reduce the amount of CD's they produce. The product is mainly text and
executables, with very little entertainment value stored on them !!!!!