[plug] Does linux have a general garbage collector...

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Dec 23 06:20:02 WST 1999

> Hi all,
>
> Was just wondering -- does Linux have a general garbage collector built into
> the kernel such that RAM that was leaked by a badly written C/C++ program
> eventually get's reclaimed despite the RAM not being delete'd in the program
> itself - or would it be lost forever?

It's not a garbage collector - that's a technical term.

However, all memory allocated to a process is freed when it ends.

Note "to a process" - thi sis not the same as 'by a process.'

I've not read up on shared memory, but I expect that can indeed accumulate
over time and cause problems.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield