netscape/mime, was Re: [plug] windows bitmap

russ russ at powerstech.com
Thu Dec 30 00:37:57 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> Hi Russ,
> > Any suggestions?
>
> - dont use Netscape for mail :)

If there were a mail/browser app as easy to use I wouldn't.

Please don't say pine. :)

> - read about MIME, incl. /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types.
> - show us your mailcap and mime.types entried for BMP.

Only 2 uncommented lines in the mailcap:

image/jpeg; xv %s;  test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
image/*; xv %s; ;  test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

And nothing for bmp in mime.types.

> You might be using a catchall like:
>    image/*; xv %s

You're right!

Doh, you said it. :)

> BTW, mailing .bmp files around, rather than jpeg or gif, is usually a bad
> idea, due to the size.

What can I say, it came from a windows user. :)

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a look at the mime man.

russ