[plug] Filename star

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 20:50:31 WST 1999

On  0, Brad Campbell <brad at seme.com.au> wrote:
> Subba Rao wrote:
> >
> > I have noticied a meta character named file in the root's home directory and another user's
> > home directory. They were created on December 23rd. The file ownership permissions are
> > perfectly normal. The dreaded meta-character is '*'.
> >
> > To remove this I did,
> >
> > $ rm -i *
> >
> > and got rid of it. I cannot imagine doing,
> >
> > $ rm *
>
> Try rm * -rf as root from / to put a smile on yer dial ;p)
> ask me how I know..
>
> should have been rm \* -r.. Oh well.. thank god for backups..

Thanks for the suggestions. When I am uncertain about the files to be deleted,
I prefer to use the '-i' option. That would atleast guarantee the safety of my
other files. I have learnt quite a bit too, regarding the various techniques to
delete the meta-character named files.

I guess it is time to implement the 'wastebasket' idea on linux users $HOME.

Thanks everyone.

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com