[plug] Filename star

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Dec 31 10:56:03 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > I don't know how this file got created. What is the best way to trace the cre
> > ation
>
> Linux logging sucks, so there's no directy way find how it happened.
> Forther, deleting the evidence makes it harder;-)
>         ls -l \* --full-time -time ctime
> would have told you during which second it was created.

s/Linux/Unix/ ?  I've only seen standard Unix-style logging (as Linux
uses) and god-awful C2 logging which would probably not make it any
easier to track down while at the same time infuriating you because the
information is still technically all there. :P  The process accounting
logging is nice as another layer of audit (if you require it --
although, of course, it wouldn't necessarily provide an immediate/simple
answer in this situation).  Is there something in between which, in your
opinion, doesn't suck?

Regards,

Christian.

--
There are many things that will catch your eye, but only a
few will catch your heart...pursue those...